Now that all the signings are done, I wanted to take a brief visit back to this years draft class and re-grade.
Obviously, not siging Whitson was a major disapointment. With the Padres getting first round compensation in next years deep draft, this failed signing is not the end of the world.
An early look at the top 10:
1) Whitson - Failed to sign.
2) Gyorko - Already promoted to Fort Wayne and hitting well. I think this was a very safe pick for the Padres. Gyorko, if he develops league average defense, could become an everday good hitting 2B.
3) Cates - Glad to see him signed. New to pitching but apparantly learns quick and has some nice upside. Risky pick but could pay off as a late inning relief/closer type.
4) Bisson - Not happy with this pick, very little upside. I think he is just emergency defensive help with the hope that maybe he develops some hitting. Reminds me of Beamer Weems.
5) Rico Noel - Not sold on Noel. I hear he has some upside. Possible project pick.
6) John Barbato - Good to see we got one high school picther signed. Also a project but with some high upside, could develop into middle of the rotation starter.
7) Vanegas - Failed to sign.
8) Jose Dore - Another high schooler drafted in the top 10. If he develops power, Dore could be a steal.
9) Joshua Spence - I liked this pick a lot for the 9th round. Slipped because of previous injury. Excellent command, could develop into a back of the rotation starter.
10) Houston Slemp - Early returns in the minors not good.
Overall, I like the idea of drafting high upside high schoolers. I would like to see the Padres sign more of them.
Post signing grade: C